• The West Virginia University at Parkersburg English department is accepting submissions to the new literary review, The Poorhouse Rag, now until April 1. Submissions are open to the WVU Parkersburg campus community including students, faculty, staff and alumni, and must explore the themes of poverty, mental illness, resilience, survival and overcoming adversity in the form of prose, poetry, children’s literature or original artwork. Visit wvup.edu/PoorHouseRag for submission guidelines. Email ThePoorHouseRag@wvup.edu for more information or to submit your entry.
• WVU Parkersburg’s Community Education classes are fun and affordable learning opportunities provided by Workforce & Economic Development. Many are suitable for all ages, offered on evening and weekends, and you do not have to be a WVU Parkersburg student to register. March’s education courses include Calligraphy, Beginner Sign Language, Photography and more! For more information, call 304.424.8383.
• The WVU of Parkersburg VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program is pleased to announce a free tax service for faculty, staff, and students. You may prepare your income tax return for free (and help WVU Parkersburg VITA out) by using the commercial tax software link sent out via E-FYI on Feb. 27. The software is capable of preparing an international tax return and has no income limits. Just take caution to select the proper filing status. If you want FREE help with your taxes in person from VITA, visit room 0404B on Monday and Thursday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. or Wednesday from 12 p.m. – 2 p.m. If you can’t make it during these hours, e-mail VITA to schedule your appointment. Check your inbox for more details. These services are for constituents of WVU Parkersburg only.
• Do you want Ricky the Riverhawk to make an appearance for your special event or meeting? If so, please complete the Ricky Request Form, which can be found at www.wvup.edu/forms or by clicking here. Please direct any questions to Michelle Nabers at firstname.lastname@example.org or ext. 209.
WELCOME & CONGRATULATIONS
• Welcome to Justina Morris, our new Records Assistant III in the Center for Student Services. She can be reached at email@example.com, ext. 310 or in Office 1107.
• Welcome to Nick Townsend, our new Records Assistant III in the Center for Student Services. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org, ext. 310 or in Office 1107.
• Did you know WVU Parkersburg has a fitness center that is available for all students, faculty and staff? The best part is, it’s FREE! Join us on March 11 and 12 at 12:15 p.m. in the fitness center to learn how to use the equipment and get the most out of your workout. Monday’s class will focus on cardio exercises while Tuesday’s class will introduce attendees to strength training. Need personal instruction on the machines? Contact Health and Wellness Coordinator Pamela Santer at Pamela.Santer@wvup.edu for more information.
• Breakthrough Campus Ministries is a student group that will meet the first and third Thursday each month throughout the semester at 7:30 p.m. in room 2537. Refreshments will be provided, and all campus community members are welcome to attend. Contact Faith Atkinson at email@example.com for more information.
• The WVU Parkersburg Veterans Corps will host meetings on March 13, April 3 & 17 and May 1 & 15 from 2 – 2:45 p.m. in the Veterans Resource Center (room 1532). The meetings are open to former and current members of the United States Armed Forces on WVU Parkersburg’s campus. Veterans Corps meetings are intended to provide support and advocacy for all veterans rights, benefits, and services affiliated with the WVU Parkersburg Veterans Resource Center. Contact Darren Shearlock at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• The WVU Parkersburg Ecohawks will host club meetings on Wednesday, March 13 and April 3 and 17 at 12:15 p.m. in Room 0144. The EcoHawks work to promote awareness of environmental issues such as conservation and preservation, with a focus on educating the college community. Anyone can become a member! Contact Valerie Keinath at email@example.com for more information.
• The LGBTQ Support Group will meet Monday, March 18 from 12:15 – 1 p.m. in the Leadership Room (0113). This group serves to build a positive environment for the campus LGBTQ community by providing a place for support and encouragement, helping identify outside resources and information and more! Contact Kurt Klettner at Kurt.Klettner@wvup.edu or 304.424.8388 for more information.